The Three Character Classic (2nd Ed.): A Bilingual Reader of China’s ABCs
三字经 (第二版) ：中华蒙学经典 汉英双语读本
Author: Phebe Xu Gray
Order No. 1081
Publisher: Homa & Sekey Books
Pub Year: 2012
Size: 6 x 9
Price: $24.95. You pay only $19.96 (after 20% discount).
“[The] book can perform an important role both in language education and cultural education; the translation is smooth and readable, the format clear, informative, and pedagogically valuable, since you have included so many aides.”
-- Dr. David Honey
Professor of Chinese
Brigham Young University
There is a renewed interest in understanding traditional Chinese language and culture. The Three Character Classic: A Bilingual Reader of China’s ABCs serves that purpose. Known as San Zi Jing in Chinese, it has been a literacy text since the 13th century. The Three Character Classic has stood the test of time and space through its rich content as well as its literary beauty in simplicity in style. Comparable to a pocket encyclopedia, the book overviews Chinese history and important historical works, illustrating the fundamentals of Confucianism while teaching the basics of math, sciences, music, and moral lessons. Readers will find pleasure in reading these stories, and the book serves as a key to opening more doors to the understanding of Chinese culture.
The second edition has corrected some of the errors in the first edition. It is with a new ISBN.
Special Features of the Book
• The original text was based on one of the earliest versions in existence, published in 1778.
• The Chinese text of San Zi Jing is in both simplified and traditional characters, with pinyin.
• There is a bilingual translation of the classic Chinese into modern Chinese and English.
• Individual words of classic Chinese are selected and annotated with English translation.
• A background information section is provided for each chapter to help readers better understand Chinese culture and the context of the original text.
• Matching illustrations are added to some stories.
Phebe Xu Gray received her Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She teaches Chinese language and culture at Lee University in Cleveland, TN. She enjoys teaching, reading, traveling, doing housework, and thinking about history.
This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 25 April, 2012.